David has more than 35 years of health law experience including serving as Deputy General Counsel for Health Affairs for a leading university, General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer for a regional health system as well as a partner in several major law firms.
Most recently, David served as the first full-time General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer for Anne Arundel Health System (now Luminis Health). In that role, he was responsible for the management and resolution of all system legal issues and served as a strategic advisor to the President and CEO, Board of Trustees, and executive leadership team. During his tenure, the system grew from a single-hospital, $785M regional referral center to a three-hospital, $1.1B regional health system, with over 5000 employees.
Prior to AAHS, David was the Deputy General Counsel for Health Affairs at Yale University, where he was the primary attorney supporting the Yale School of Medicine, a major research, education, and clinical operation that includes the 1,400+ physician Yale Medical Group (now Yale Medicine);Yale School of Nursing; Yale School of Public Health; and Yale Health, a staff model HMO. David also has been a partner at several major firms, including Epstein, Becker & Green and Crowell & Moring.
David’s extensive experience allows him to effectively:
- Provide strategic and legal advice to academic medical centers, hospitals, medical schools, faculty practice plans, physician groups, and other providers with respect to contracting, acquisitions, affiliations, physician integration, peer review, medical staff, and governance.
- Counsel clients on health regulatory and reimbursement issues affecting the planning and structuring of health care transactions and business arrangements.
- Lead internal investigations of sensitive matters.
- Advise clients on academic medical issues including clinical and scientific research, clinical trials, operations of IRB’s and related matters.
- Draft and negotiate various contracts, including affiliation, physician employment, licensing, technology, non-disclosure, and management and professional services agreements.
- Represent health care providers in preparing for, and responding to, government audits and investigations and in conducting internal reviews and investigations.
Recent Representative Experience
- Led legal team with respect to hospital acquisition and subsequent governance revisions and regulatory compliance.
- Negotiated and completed transaction involving the establishment of ambulatory surgery centers.
- Resolution of major compliance issues with the federal government (HHS, CMS).
- Led several internal investigations involving fraud, academic misconduct, and other issues.
- Negotiated and drafted agreements relating to physician and practice acquisitions and affiliations as well as the development of a strategic model for a community physician network; issues included, inter alia, fair market value, ASC equity interests, fraud and abuse, and antitrust concerns.
- Negotiated the purchase, development, and implementation of various technology contracts concerning an EPIC electronic medical record system, a Forte clinical trials management system, and a McKesson pharmacy management system.
- Assisted tele-mental health provider with respect to entry into the higher education and managed care environment.
- Negotiated an agreement on behalf of a university with a large mental health managed care provider for the provision of a mental health network.
- Negotiated a highly unique agreement with a leading outside entity for scientific collaboration with, and the management of, oncology clinical trials.
1701 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20006
(Office Visits by Appointment)
Areas of Practice
Health Law, Academic Medical Centers, Hospitals and Health Systems, Corporate and Non-Profit Governance, General Transactions, Mergers and Acquisitions
- District of Columbia
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School
- B.A., State University of New York, University Center at Binghamton
- District of Columbia Bar, Community Outreach Subcommittee Chair
- District of Columbia Superior Court, Mediator
- Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia, Former Member Board of Directors
- National Ski Patrol (Mountain Safety) leadership team and shift supervisor, Liberty Mountain Ski Resort (Fairfield, PA)
- Yale University, Jonathan Edwards College, Fellow